Wednesday, April 13, 2011

All the cool kids are doing it so why shouldn't I?


My very best friend, Hannah, has a blog (although she used it once) and it got me curious about how to 'blog.' Recently in a conversation with my one of my favorite people, Nicole, she had suggested I start one. The reason being because I am a first time home owner doing a lot of DIY projects with my husband. (Well, due to my compulsivity I tend to do new projects and surprise him when he gets home) Unfortunately, Nicole was not smart enough to recommend this before (thanks for nothing! :) ) and I did not start taking pictures of our house as it was when we moved in. Such a slacker. But good news! When our house was appraised they took pictures but at the moment my scanner won't work and I think it was because Kevin touched it last. When it is up and working I will scan those pictures of the house as it was when we moved in. So now that I have basically summed up why I am even bothering with 'blogging' let me tell you a little about the house...

We own a 4 bedroom cape cod with a full finished basement and a lovely sized back yard (that tends to puddle towards the back because there used to be a creek (pronounced crick) back there, luckily it's towards the back and there's no need to go back there during down pours anyway. The home is almost 60 years old and had one sole owner. The old man bought this house with his wife in 58, I believe, and when she passed he remarried. Yes, she died of Cancer and died in the house. He remarried and the new wife also lived in the home. Unfortunately, she also died of Cancer and died in the house. This in no way freaks me out, in fact it makes me happy. Maybe some good spirits/energy lives here. On second thought, maybe not considering the old man is still going strong and two wives are dead of cancer. Hm. Anyhow, he was getting too old to take care of the home. Side note- his son and grandson moved in around 2008. They were scum bags and did a lot of drug dealing/drugs in the home. Boy do the neighbors have stories! Needless to say Matt Green helped Kevin change all the locks and baby proof our doors. Maybe we will find wads of cash in the basement tiles, one can only hope. Ok back on track. So we were able to score this awesome home at a great price and great rate. Only down side, the old man had not 'updated' the house in what looked like 60 years. My Parents put things in perspective- at your age and your price you're not going to get the home of your wildest dreams. (At first I hated this house) They told me to find a  house with opportunity and space to make it what we want. Good thing I listened to my parents because they were right. This house has plenty of land to extend one day and has already become the house of my dreams, corny I know.


When we moved in my first priority: ripping up the nasty red carpets and painting the downstairs. Many thought we were crazy. Yes I am crazy, no shocker there, but with the help of my one Mother in Law, Husband, Father and Steve Miller we were able to paint, rip up carpets (all 5 million staples and padding) and clean. My Father is an electrician and began helping with that work. (Note to self, never try DIY electric without an electrician present. Thanks for saving me Scott!)  Stepmother got me my washer/dryer which I love!!!!! She has helped me with grabbing the perfect touches to the house. Kev's Grammy got us a Fridge that is a monster, again, LOVE it. Kev's parents have been amazing through everything also. We got a plumber- Todd and a lot of hard working friends who we would not have been able to move in or do stuff with out them. We moved in and began our projects. I think I want to be a carpenter or at least handy in all trades.

Here are the projects we have accomplished (all DIY):
Pulled up the bathroom carpet- GROSS
Painted all of the downstairs
Ripped up carpets (including steps)
Refinished the wood floors
Refinished the steps - still need to do work on the step area
Tiled the front entryway- we still need my Father in Law to make two thresholds for the closet door and front door
Refinished the spare bedroom floor, painted and moved in. (Yay! I have a spare room!)
Ripped up the nasty green astro turf from the carport and porch.- We still need to clean it down though
Painted the bedroom
Ripped up landing carpet

I may be forgetting something.. But in any case here is what is still left to do:
refinish back deck? Kev wants to, I don't
finish cleaning front porch
dig out the flag pole in the front yard
finish steps
paint quarter trim and baseboards up
Do outside work
paint shudders and door
Retile downstairs bathroom and get new cabinets
Get new cabinet for upstairs bathroom

Big Projects we want to start one day down the road or should pay someone to do:
fence in backyard
New siding and insulation
New roof (when needed)
Redoing Kitchen
Work on upstairs spare room and bathroom- we want to removed the stall shower and make the room bigger by making the bathroom smaller. I know people will say not to, but we want that room to have more space and like the shower downstairs better.
New upstairs carpet
Take out back deck and make a paved area

I think I have added enough for one day. I will update on projects and house related stuff!




This is the backyard- the property goes to the end of the fence and about 2 feet to the left of shed.


This is the front! We have already removed the green crap.


We now have deck furniture!


Carport- Would love to extend my kitchen here one day.


Upstairs bathroom- removing the stall shower and building a wall right here to make room bigger and bathroom smaller.


Kitchen when we first moved in.


Spare room downstairs when we first moved in.


After we moved in but before we refinished the floors and did tile.


Refinished floors!!!! And demonic dog clearly.


Spare room!! Wild right, would you have thought it was the same space as the other picture?


More spare room.


Bathroom downstairs- want to retile and change cabinetry and lights. Also, Father in law is building a new radiator front.


Landing upstairs. Not a good pic but everything in this house is uneven and the baseboards suck up there. Must redo.


Spare/empty room upstairs. the room will be opened up one day where the shoe rack stands.

Adding more space by pushing that wall back like 3-4 feet. (One day)

Making the bathroom this size eventually upstairs.


Kitchen now. 


New fridge! woop woop!


Kitchen.  Gnarley wood panel.


Can someone direct me on how to remove the fan from the top of the stove? I want to pull it out since there is the old school wall fan. 

Office. Needs curtains.


Father in law is making a new piece to go up the side. we need to paint the white as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment